For those keeping up with the Autodesk offerings of Infraworks, there are several flavors to choose from. We have the following choices:
- Autodesk Infraworks – included in the Infrastructure Design Suite Premium & Ultimate as well as Building Design Suite Ultimate, no direct access to cloud collaboration and tools.
- Autodesk Roads and Highways Module – new functionality in the 2014 version of Infraworks
- Autodesk Infaworks 360 – subscription benefit for owners of the various Suites mentioned earlier. Added cloud collaboration and tools to Suite version.
- Autodesk Infraworks 360 Pro – Rental option for those without the Suite; reduced functions compared to the Suite version
- Roadway Design for Infraworks 360 Pro – additional road design functions in the rental version to match the Suite version
Sadly, even with the brevity I used above, I barely keep the various offerings organized in my head. If you have happened to download the subscription update to Infraworks (R2), this added to the confusion with several icons on your desktop.
And, only one version would work depending on what you were actually authorized to use.
Well, as of tomorrow, Autodesk has thankfully decided to reorganize a bit to help reduce confusion by defining two key points; where are various functions and who has access to those functions.
- For those with the various Design Suites
- Autodesk Infraworks – included version in the Suite
- For those using the Rental option
- Autodesk Infraworks 360 – renamed without the PRO label, only way to access cloud based features
- Roadway Design for Infraworks 360 – requires 360 license; moved roads and highways functionality from Suite to Rental version
- Bridge Design for Infraworks 360 – requires 360 license; NEW functionality added today!
These changes DO NOT affect the software you currently have installed, only new purchases using the updated installer will be affected. So, the additional roads and highways module in the new release will be there for current installations.
Here’s my takeaway:
- if you don’t collaborate on the infraworks models, then you will be happy with the Suite offerings.
- If you need to collaborate (use cloud services), chances are good that you are working on transportation projects so the Rental option will be applicable to you.
- If you need to collaborate or share the model but aren’t doing transportation work, you will still need the Rental version, sorry. There is no current option to include those cloud services in the Suite version of Infraworks.